Thursday, February 21, 2008

Thoughts on doing reference work

"My constituency is the desperate, the damned, the disinherited, the disrespected and the despised." That Jesse Jackson quote is something my supervising professor used to teach alliteration in our public speaking class eons ago, but it just popped into my head right now as I'm working with a particularly slow patron on our library's chat reference service. The question in my head is, "Who is my constituency?" Is it the students who have no clue what's going on, who seem to be the ones that gravitate to us naturally, but often don't get what's going on even after an intensive 30 minute-session, or is it the ones who are good students but could be great students with our help? Am I being classist if I want to argue for the second option? I don't know. You tell me. I just know that I've been working with this person on finding an article for 22 minutes and we're still at the stage of searching for the journal title in ALICE. Lord, give me patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment