Saturday, May 29, 2010

I scream, you scream

I've decided to start a new feature here on the blog, more for my own benefit than for my readers', but if it helps some of you out, all the better! As those who know me in real life can attest, I tend to be experimental in my ice cream purchases, with results that run the gamut from delight to disaster. It's sometimes hard for me to keep track of what I like and don't like, so I thought I'd record some of my findings here. This first post will be a catch-up post, with things I remember particularly liking or not liking in the last year or so. After this I'll try to keep up with it whenever I try a notable new flavor.

On my good list:

Turkey Hill Coconut Cream Pie. Until this spring, my all-time favorite ice cream flavor has always been Edy's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, but I have found a new champion. This ice cream was loaded with tons of real coconut and really yummy pie crust pieces. Too bad it's a seasonal flavor, but let's hope it comes along again next spring.

Private Selection Banana Cream Pie. While not as good as the Turkey Hill (especially in the flavor of the pie crust pieces), this flavor came in a close second, and I would be glad to buy it again. It was a limited edition, though, so who knows if it will return?

Great Value Blueberry Pomegranate. I almost never buy ice cream at Wal-mart, but last fall I just couldn't resist this enticing variety. I got a lot more blueberry than pomegranate from it, but whatever it was, it was good!

Breyer's Cookies and Cream. Although simple flavors like this don't always catch my eye, for some reason I bought this, and it was fantastic! The simplicity of the ice cream base really brought out the chocolate flavor of the cookies. Note that this was from the all-natural black-label Breyer's range. There's also a Breyer's Oreo Cookie from their not-all-natural range; I haven't tried that, but I imagine it's more artificial tasting and probably not as good.

On my Bad List:

Edy's Fun Flavors. Look carefully at the label, and you'll notice something that isn't there: the phrase "ice cream." Edy's Fun Flavors line has whey listed as the first ingredient, and it just doesn't hold up well either in the taste or texture department. I've gotten burned by them twice, once on Espresso Chip and more recently by Banana Split. I will try to remember to stay away from this whole line in the future.

Kroger Deluxe. I hate to say it, because I don't have anything against generics on principle, but I've never tried a variety of this ice cream that I actually liked, and I've tried plenty! Something is always just a little bit off, and I'm thinking maybe I should just give up on them in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment