Monday, July 11, 2011

Ice cream catch up (not ice cream and ketchup!)

It's been a long time since I talked about ice cream here, but I wanted to record some of my thoughts, if only for my own record keeping purposes. Just as I did in the beginning, this is going to be a catch-up post that gives my strong impressions on various flavors as they come into my head. I think I'll go brand-by-brand to make things easy on myself.

Turkey Hill: I have an all-time new favorite ice cream flavor-- Turkey Hill's Double Dunker. It's coffee ice cream with crumbled-up bits of chocolate chip and Oreo cookies, along with a chocolate cookie stripe. I'm usually only so-so about coffee ice cream flavors, but this is divine, and stripe is especially addictive.

Deluxe: I told you I'd never had a good batch of Deluxe ice cream, but we finally found a flavor we love: chocolate cookie crumble. It consists of chocolate ice cream with a chocolate cookie stripe much like the one that Turkey Hill uses in Double Dunker. It's definitely the best thing I've ever had from Deluxe.

Edy's : I broke my rule of never buying Edy's ice cream because I found a flavor actually available in the old Grand line instead of the new Fun Flavors one: rocky road. I found out after I got it home and did some research that Edy's is the originator of this flavor, and then my expectations were even higher. Unfortunately, I didn't like it at all. There were too many nuts for me, and the texture of the marshmallows was very strange. The others who live in my household felt the same way, and we actually argued over who had to eat it whenever we had ice cream!

I also tried a couple more flavors of Edy's frozen yogurt. Strawberry was so-so, and I wouldn't buy it again. I see now that it has been discontinued, and it doesn't really surprise me. Chocolate fudge brownie was actually pretty good, and cookies and cream was also something I could live with.

Breyer's: Recently I was hankering for neopolitan, and since Breyer's was on sale I got their vanilla, chocolate, strawberry. (Why not just call it neopolitan? It would be much easier to type!) I know I've said in the past that Breyer's is good no matter what the flavor, but sadly, this was a miss for me. All the flavors seemed extremely weak, especially the strawberry. I think I won't buy this in the future.

A flavor we had more luck with was waffle cone. It has vanilla ice cream with pieces of chocolate-covered waffle cone, a caramel ribbon, and mini chocolate chips. I thought it was merely acceptable, finding the caramel to taste a little bit burnt and the whole product too sweet, but my fiance really liked it. (I notice now when looking at the ingredients that it also contains the dreaded propylene glycol. Breyer's, I'm surprised at you. Grrr!)

Blue Bunny: Since I hardly ever go to Wal-mart, it had been a long time since I'd had any Blue Bunny ice cream, but I got a great flavor recently: double strawberry. It has huge chunks of great-tasting strawberries and a nice flavor overall. We'll definitely be getting this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment