Thursday, May 31, 2012

Back to the salt mines

It took me a while after my last post to remember a non-Breyer ice cream flavor we've tried recently, but it was so unusual that now I had to make a special post just to mention it here: Turkey Hill pretzel.   I've always loved the Turkey Hill lowfat chocolate pretzel flavor, but as I mentioned before, I've sworn off all the Turkey Hill light flavors because of the additives they contain.  So when I saw this new limited edition flavor in the freezer case, I got all excited and assumed it would be along the same lines, just with more fat. 

However, when I got it home and read the fine print on the carton, I realize how wrong I was.  The chocolate pretzel flavor has a chocolate swirl in it, while this flavor has a pretzel swirl.  Yes, you read that right.  They actually put a solid ribbon of crushed-up pretzels in the ice cream itself.  It was, in one word, salty, and even my stepson, who is something of a saltaholic, thought it was too much!  It turned out that I was the only person who could stand to eat this flavor, and then only if I added a heaping teaspoon of cocoa powder to it to boost the chocolate flavor and cut the salty taste.  Needless to say, we won't be buying this flavor again, and you should try it at your own risk.  (However, the On Second Scoop blogger loved it, so it's possible your results may vary.)

No comments:

Post a Comment