Sunday, May 26, 2013

Artisanal Cheese Club, Month 3

Here's a rundown of the four cheeses we got this month.

Selles Sur Cher--  This goat cheese from France is covered in protective blue mold.  The picture at the Artisanal link doesn't do it justice; the piece we got was totally fuzzy and looked just like something you would normally throw out of your refrigerator.  (Here's a better picture on Wikipedia.)  The mold is supposedly edible, but I didn't like the way it tasted and picked it off.  (My dog loved it!)  Inside, the cheese tasted a lot like Brie.

Raclette--  This Alpine cheese is meant to be melted on a plate and eaten.  I'd actually had it before and knew how good it was, and this example did not disappoint.  I was a teensy bit disappointed, however, that I ended up getting a cheese this month that I was already familiar with.

Toussaint--  This cheese is from New York.  It was your standard hard white cheese, nothing really special.

North Country Blue--  This Minnesota cheese was good, but not as good as the blue we had last month.  That one was very smooth, while this one was a little sharp.

Overall, we were less impressed than normal with our shipment this month.  I'm not sure if it was just an off month or if we're becoming jaded to the pleasures of fancy cheese.  Tune back in next month to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment