Friday, April 11, 2008

Medical update

So I guess I should give you an update on the appointments I said I was having this week. Monday was the one I was really afraid of, and it wasn't exactly a walk in the park, but it's over and the doctor was very nice. I have to go back there again for a follow-up next Monday and learn the results of the tests I had last week. I hope she finds something mildly wrong, because I don't want anything to be seriously wrong, but I also don't want to find out I'm a hypochondriac!

Today is the one that other people think is the bigger deal, because it's more invasive, but I'm not so worried about, because it's not virgin territory for me. I'm having a colonoscopy this afternoon, which means I've been sitting around not eating since yesterday at noon. Just like last year, I'm amazed at how much more time there is in my day when I don't eat. It's not that the act of eating itself takes so long, but more not having to cook, wash dishes, etc. I'm also amazed, as I was last year, at how non-hungry I am. Of course that might be because I've been drinking a steady stream of Gatorade and apple juice, which are probably the equivalent of being on an IV glucose solution in the hospital! (When I was on such an IV in the hospital 3 years ago, I was also amazed at my lack of hunger.)

So what I used my extra time for (besides running to the bathroom) was to catch up on TV and reading. I watched two episodes of Grey's Anatomy and two Simpsons and one Magnum, P.I. Also I took in the first episode of MI-5, which I'm going to try to start now. Although I've never seen the comparison anywhere, it seems to me like it must be the show that Torchwood was modelled after. It's really the same concept, just without the sci-fi elements.

On the reading front, I starting reading Gateway by Frederik Pohl. I'm about a fourth of the way through it already, and I like it. I understand it's just the beginning of a long series of novels he wrote in the same universe, so we'll see if I want to keep up with it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment