Friday, June 20, 2008

The WB Online: Field test

So I tried to watch the first episode of The Gilmore Girls, which is a show I've always wanted to get into, but I only made it as far as the first 15 minutes. The video was so herky-jerky in fullscreen that I was starting to feel seasick. Since school isn't in session this week, our network has been silky-smooth, so I know the problem wasn't on my end, but theirs. In 15 minutes, I also didn't encounter a commercial. I know they're going to have them eventually, because what else would their business model be, but maybe they haven't arranged for sponsors for the beta? Of course, no one wants to watch more commercials than they have to, but it seems like they would want to test out the commercial functionality by at least putting in some of their own promos. Hulu had ads during their beta, and since they found they had lots of problems getting them inserted in the right places, it was good that they did beta-test them.

I also tried the Facebook functionality, and I now have the first episode of Gilmore Girls embedded on my profile. The problem is that I didn't really want the whole episode there. Supposedly you can mark a clip that you want to embed, but no matter how many times I try it, the whole show keeps showing up. Maybe this is another problem that needs fixing?

All in all, I stand by my original position: the site is too beta-y to make a final judgment on yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment