Thursday, December 13, 2007

Watching TV online, Part IV

Today I'm going to talk about In2TV, the video section of AOL Television. I use the TV listings on that site because they're the only ones that accurately display the wierd cable line-up we have in my apartment building, and one day I happened to stumble upon the In2TV section of the site while browsing around. I was blown away. They have current episodes of selected TV shows from all the major networks. Not anything that you couldn't find on the network's own video sites, but sometimes it's nice to have a good backup. (For instance, when I was experiencing the full screen problem on the CBS site that I mentioned earlier, I found I could watch those episodes in full screen on the In2TV site without any problem.)

Where In2TV really shines, however, is its classic TV content. They have full episodes of many classic TV shows, free of charge. There are only a few random episodes of most of the shows; I figure it's supposed to give you enough of a taste so you can decide whether or not to buy the DVD's. This is a great way to revisit shows you might be nostalgic for like Eight is Enough and Scarecrow and Mrs. King. (And if you have kids, you can show them what you used to watch when you were their age!) However, there are complete runs of certain shows. I stumbled across Lois and Clark and Gilligan's Island, and there might be very well be others if you dig for them. Another great feature is the special categories they've made, like "First Episodes" and "Christmas Specials."

A criticism of the site is that it's very hard to navigate. The menus on the side keep changing from page to page, and it's hard to get a comprehensive view of everything that's available on the site. Being a librarian, I guess I'd like something like a catalog where you can just see all of the titles and subject headings easily.

If you don't mind digging, though, In2TV is a great site and one I recommend to everyone looking for something new to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment