Monday, March 30, 2009

March TV round-up

I'm going to talk about the new shows that premiered in March first, and then I'll move on to the established shows I've been watching.

Kings-- This show is beautiful to look at, and in tone and diction it comes off like a Shakespeare play. It hasn't been getting good ratings and looks like it's incredibly expensive to produce, so I'm trying not to become too attached.

Castle-- This is never going to win an Emmy, but I'm liking it just fine. Nathan Fillion plays a lovable rascal so well, and I love his relationship with his daughter. That's what saves the show for me, more than his supposed heat with the detective, which I don't feel one bit.

Better Off Ted-- I'm enjoying this show too, although it's suffering from the same problem that all sitcoms today suffer from. There's only so much story you can tell in 20 minutes! Still, it pleases me enough to stay with it for a while and hope it develops into something more satisfying.

In the Motherhood-- No thank you, please. There's nothing here we haven't seen before, and better.

Chuck-- I remain awed by the wonder that is this show. More please.

Heroes-- This season has been swinging like a pendulum between wonderful and woeful. Let's hope it straightens out before the end.

Reaper-- I'm so glad this show is back! The changes they've brought are really paying off, and it's much less the cookie-cutter show it was last year. The devil is really developing into a cohesive (and smarmy) character, and our heroes have deepened as well. And having Andi know about the secrets makes it so much better!

American Idol-- Most of the singers they've gotten this year can actually sing, and it's making it much harder for me to decide who to vote for each week. Also, I'm already sad at the people getting voted off, which isn't normal at this stage.

Life-- I can't help wondering how each episode would be different if Reese was still there. I can tell they took scripts already written and gave her lines to the new girl, because they're totally Dani Reese one-liners, even coming out of somebody else's mouth. Here's hoping for her speedy return!

Life on Mars-- Only one episode left, and I'm sad to see this story almost over, but glad that Sam may finally get the answers he's looking for.

Ugly Betty-- I feel like this show has finally gotten back into its groove, and now we have to wait 6 weeks to find out what happens. But it's a good sign that I'm missing it.

Friday Night Lights-- Only two more episodes left this season? Time has really flown by! I think we're leaving all of the characters in a pretty good place, except for J.D. McCoy, but as the only freshman we know, he'll probably have to carry more of the load in years to come. And I do hope there will be years to come.

Dollhouse-- This show has finally gotten to be what I expected it to be. I thought this week's episode was wonderful, as was last week's.

Brothers and Sisters-- I thought the whole "shocking death" thing was stupid, and I'm glad that's behind us. I'm also glad that Tommy didn't have to go to trial. I wonder what Ryan has up his sleeve? We have another long wait for new episodes for this show; more time to let the anticipation build, I guess.

Medium-- My curse holds, and it looks like Lifetime is removing this one from their rotation. Say it ain't so!

In DVD news, I've been watching Sapphire and Steel, which is ok, but isn't thrilling me as much as I expected. I'm going to go back to Dr. Who again instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment