Saturday, December 13, 2008

A belated obituary

So I've discovered what happens when you don't keep up with your email: you miss important things. In the last couple of days at work I went through an email reading frenzy, and I've gotten my number of unread messages down to zero, and my number of saved messages down to three digits again. I deleted a lot of old university announcements for things that had already happened, but something told me to open a particular day's Outlook, and it said "Ohio University mourns death of political science student." I always have to look at every article about somebody who died, and it always turns out I didn't know them, but I looked anyway, and staring back at me was a picture of a very familiar face. I assumed he must be a frequent library patron, but no one else professed to know him. Finally, 12 hours later, my brain finally processed the answer: he used to wait on me all the time at my neighborhood grocery store. He always seemed like a nice boy, and he always smiled at me. And now he's dead, and it took me a whole month to mourn him. Maybe I do always miss the most important things going on around me all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment