Saturday, December 20, 2008

Off we go into the wild blue yonder

So I'm off today to face the great unknown. Oh, I'm only going back to North Dakota, to Harvey, a town I've been to 10,000 times before, but always when I went there, it was because we were "going to town." I've never lived in town before, at least not in North Dakota, and I'm not sure how I'm going to profitably spend two weeks. People always say that the country is more boring than the city, but I don't really think that's true. In the country, you can always go outside and talk to animals and play in snow and things like that. What am I going to do in town?

I've actually been making a list, and here are some of the things I've come up with:
  1. Go to the bakery, which I always thought was the most exotic and sophisticated place in town when I was younger. (OK, it was second to the Tastee Freez, but that's probably closed for the winter.)
  2. Go to the library, if I can manage to figure out which couple of hours a day it's open. You can sign up to use the internet for 15 whole minutes a day!
  3. Look at every item in every store in town-- 6 times.
  4. Go to the movies all by myself! My mother tells me that only teenage boys go to the theater there, so that should prove to be interesting.
  5. Catch up on all these books I keep dragging home from the library but never get around to reading.
  6. Parade up and down in front of the radio station. (I have a mild crush on one of the DJ's.)
  7. Watch some of my mother's new TV programs with her, most of which feature home improvement of one sort or another. (Blech!)
  8. Have myself a merry little Christmas and a happy new year.

In other words, I won't be back in the land of the living (meaning the internet) until about January 3rd. (If I don't get stranded in some airport again.) Happy holidays to any of you that might actually be reading this!

No comments:

Post a Comment