Sunday, December 14, 2008

The bliss of consumerism?

I'm in a very good mood, and I'm not sure how long it's going to last, but I'm going to relish it while it does! Last night I watched Murphy's Romance, and it made me so happy. I think it was as much the music as the actual plotline, and the fashions and everything took me back to 1985, which was a very pivotal year for me as a tween. (Of course I didn't know I was a tween at the time, because the concept hadn't been invented yet! I had to settle for being a much-less-hip-sounding "pre-teen.")

The funny thing about the movie is how chock-full of product placements it was! There were two-gallon jugs of KC Masterpiece everywhere. Has anybody not in a cafeteria or restaurant honestly ever bought a two-gallon jug of KC Masterpiece? I also noticed Ivory liquid (in the old bottle back when it was still white), Barq's root beer (which I'm pretty sure didn't exist in North Dakota yet back in 1985), extra-strength Tylenol (which Sally Field asked for in the drugstore by name), Purina Chows (which I remember fondly from too much time spent in Lautt's Feed and Supply as a girl) and a host of other products that have slipped my mind. But guess what? I didn't really mind them at all, because it made it more like a true depiction of life in 1985 in a small town just like the one I grew up in. Will today's product placements seem as quaint in 20 years?

No comments:

Post a Comment